söndag 19 april 2009

Relatives in Japan

The last weeks have been busy. First, Monika and her lovely cousin Stephanie came here. After that, Stina and Ida arrived and are still here for another 5 days. Of course, I have been spending all of my free time with the girls, going to various tourist spots. Last Saturday however, we had a hanami party (look at the flowers party) by the river near our apartment. Loads of people of various nationalities came; Japanese, Swedish, German, French, Thai etc. A hanami party is basically a picnic under the cherry blossom trees, and needless to say it was really fun.

The day after we went to Kamakura. I have been there once before, but in the autumn. The big buddha was still there and the temples as well. We also went to a small cafe close to the daibutsu (buddha). After sitting there for a while, a squirrel appeared outside the cafe. Then another one. And suddenly they came into the shop and started eating something that the shop owner fed them with. Extremely cute and an absolutely memorable fika break.

Kamakura is located by the sea and there's a quite nice beach. We went there to walk and pick some sea shells. Stina of course picked a bag or two and will probably have some extra kilos when she goes home to Sweden...

Our neighbour's cat...

During the week we have mostly visited different parts of Tokyo since I am working on day time. On the evenings however we have been singing a lot of karaoke which both Stina and Ida likes a lot. Stina has contributed to the singing with Metallica songs and also loads of country, like Hank Williams and Roger Miller. Roger Miller was the toughest to do since all the doop op a doo and shug a lug etc. force you to dig deep for your non-existent yodeling skills. Ida on the other hand contributed to the party atmosphere with Abba and Dolly Parton. I think all in all my father would have been happy with the performances.

Today we went to a place called Kagurazaka. It's located in Tokyo, but looks a little like Kyoto with old style houses and temples. We had a coffee at a really nice café by the canal. Yesterday we visited a really great botanical garden in Mitaka, not far from the centre of Tokyo. Right now it's the time of the Azaleas, and they were in full bloom. This park however, had a gigantic rose garden as well with loads of different kinds. I think my mother would have enjoyed this. They were not blooming yet, but in some weeks I will go there again, no doubt.

Or well, actually there's a little doubt if I will go there again. Right now I'm on my second tourist visa in Japan and when I'm going to enter on my third one in May they will be very suspicious. I discussed with my boss and he was also a little nervous about the fact that the company might actually be examined if the custom guys decide to look into my stay here in Japan. However, my boss and one other guy at the company expressed that I have done a lot for the company and that I am helping them very much so they really want to keep me for another 3 months and will help me to struggle through it. Only that fact, that I'm actually doing something useful and that they see me as an asset, makes me feel very happy and relieved. If I can't make it back to Japan again, it will at least be because of stupid beurocracy and not because my company sacked me. So, I am a little nervous, but I try not to think of it too much.

There are some good news as well actually. Tomoya and I have been looking for a way for him to come to Sweden quite a while now. He has been struggling with the TOEFL tests and shit but hasn't managed to get into university yet. This has also been nagging on my mind for a while, making me sleepless and giving me sporadic agony attacks (did I make up that expression myself?). Anyhow. The other day I realised the best invention since sliced bread; Sambo visa. The Swedish word "Sambo" means to live together with your boy/girlfriend without being married. Usually, to get a visa for the country that your partner is from, you have to get married. In Sweden however, someone thought that it's a little sad to get married just because of the visa (god bless that guy who should be awarded with the nobel prize) and invented this visa, that works exactly like a marriage visa, but you don't have to get married to get it. You just have to be able to prove that you have a serious relationship and intend to live together in Sweden. I have read about people who have only been together for 5 months and when the non-Swedish person has gotten a visa anyway. There are also cases where people are not living together and can get it anyway. So, I am positive that Tomoya and I can apply for this and get it without any problem. As a matter of fact, we are writing the application right now. The only downside is that it takes about 6 months to process the application and get the visa. But, since Tomoya is planning on entering university in the end of August, he might be able to make the office of immigration to speed up the process and go to Sweden a little earlier. If we submit the application in the beginning of next week as we are planning to, he will come to Sweden at latest by the end of September. That is a big relief.

Now we have to work more on the application and then it's bed time so that I can do my best on tomorrow's karaoke, and Tomoya on his drinking with work.

0 kommentarer: