fredag 28 november 2008

Stuck in autumn

It's autumn, perfect autumn. Cold, crisp days with blue clear skies, to be substituted by fog and rain once in a while. The leaves on the trees are red, just as they are in any country in the world when the autumn comes, but still, Japanese love to praise their red leaves and spend their money on going to a mountain or forest where there happen to be trees. I think, that within the square kilometre that surrounds my house back in Sweden, there are more red trees than in the entire Japan. Well, they are masters of overrating their own country. But then again, who isn't.
So, during these chilly autumn days I've been busy looking for work and studying Japanese. In the mornings I go running, the usual sling along Kanda river. It's a little bit lonely, and lately Tomoya has been returning late every night, although his boss wants him to go home earlier. There is more work than time I suppose. Since I'm not working now I don't have too much money either, which limits my pleasure budget to a coffee a day. That means, that even though it's Friday today, I'm at home watching TV and waiting for Tomoya. He is currently out buying clothes and equipment for tomorrow's golf trip, to which he forced to attend . I think though, that when he comes home he has to go straight to bed since he needs to get up at 4:30 tomorrow to be picked up by a co-worker who will take him to the closest golf lane. Which would be some hours away, I reckon. Well, no reason to be negative. Who knows, it might be fun to golf, although I myself would hardly call it a sport, but rather a waste of money and a weird and complicated way of perform a normal promenade. But who am I to judge other peoples hobbies. Anyhow. I'm currently searching for another internship to do in Japan during the spring. Actually, some companies seem interested, and I have an interview planned next week. But still, how easy is it to get inspired to stay here, when it is as grey and lonely as it is? At least I have my little Japanese girl friends to chat with and hang with at cafés. Sometimes we meet for a coffee and a snack at Starbucks or some other café that offers good coffee. I'm also reading a lot nowadays. Right now I'm in the middle of Jane Austen's Emma. It's a nice novel, and makes me long for England and fluffy dresses á la the transvestites in Little Britain. The thing I am looking forward to the most right now (besides from celebrating christmas in Sweden with my parents and dear sisters(and the cats)) is this weekend's sine long planned gingerbread and Lussekatt baking. I will go to Tomoya's parents' house tomorrow, while he is golfing, to prepare the gingerbread dough. We will bake the cookies on Sunday, and since we also have real Glögg (Glu wine, kind of) to accompany them, the first of Advent (as we Swedes call this Sunday) might feel really christmasy. I must admit though, that I do suspect that the glögg might be swapped for green tea and the gingerbread for rice crackers, but "one takes the custom to where one comes", as we say back at home.

0 kommentarer: