The last two days have been rainy, dark and like a dull limbo (my mother's description). When Sweden is like this I wonder if I really belong here. I just hope that I will get a little more cheery as soon as the weather gets better. If it gets better. Anyhow. Yesterday me and my mother went to the neighbour city of Mariestad. It's a small town with nothing interesting but the best cafe in the world. You might be familiar with the hovers? Well, you can buy them here. The name of the cafe is Lundsteds Konditori and their hovers and noisette rolls beat everything. On the way home from Mariestad we also passed a small town called Moholm. Moholm might be the most depressing town i
n the world. There is absolutely nothing but ugly houses and a garden centre. The garden centre though, is really nice and they have a special geranium house where my mother walked around for some 15 minutes smelling and watching the flowers.
Today I went with my mum and my cousin Per to Gothenburg by train. It takes about 2 hours to get there and the train ride felt extremely long. It's hard to imagine that I actually went there everyday for 1 year during my japanese studies. Anyhow. Every time you go to Gothenburg with my mum you start out at the cafe where we buy our coffee beans; Mauritz. They have excellent coffee in big bowls and just a small selection of very nice cakes and cookies. Today we had cappuccino and shared a rhubarb roll and a hazel nut cookie. After fika we strolled around in some shops looking for shoes. It was extremely fun since I for the first time in a year actually can find shoes in my size. I had just too much to choose from this time, so I couldn't buy anything. Otherwise the Swedish shopping was a little annoying. The shop clerks were very rude (compared to the Japanese ones) and the service wasn't good at all. I'm annoyed by the regular Swedish people as well. I feel very short and everyone wear ugly clothes and are ugly i
n general. And they all look the same. I miss fashionable, cute
and short Japanese people. Speaking of that, Tomoya is coming in 18 days. Not long...
After some shopping we had lunch at Le pain francais which is also an excellent cafe. I had a croque madame with salad. The next stop was the old part of Gothenburg, Haga. One thing that sucks about Japan and is nice about Europe is the old houses and streets. A walk in Haga is always cosy and the old houses are so beautiful. Not far from Haga there is also a very big candy shop. As you might now, when you buy candy in Sweden you
choose the kinds you want, put them in a paper bag, weigh it and pay for how many grams you picked. I like it, but foreigners tend to think that it's dirty and not very hygienic. After some candy shopping we went to see my sister who just got off work. Once again we had some fika with cappuccino and chocolate. That was the last fika in Gothenburg today because we had to catch the 6 o'clock train home to Töreboda again. Now I'm back, and my mother is already preparing the coffee.
tisdag 19 augusti 2008
Rain and more rain in Gothenburg
Upplagd av Sara kl. 11:16
Prenumerera på:
Kommentarer till inlägget (Atom)
1 kommentarer:
On behalf of The Germans...
...well, the pretty ones: I like to express my gratitude for this delectable switch to English language in your prose, even though we all know it's just an awful old bridge language. That said, I like your writing.
That said, the content sounds nakanaka dull, yet reflecting my own impressions after coming home to Germany a few weeks back (except for the cats - I have this brother and Felix around though).
What I think you should know, is that the oh-so-pleasant Fika sounds a lot like the German word for the pleasant old thing that men and woman do i private, phontically. Now, everything sounds funny in German allright. Now go back and read the text again for a healthy childish giggle.
And on behalf of the Germans, I have the pleasure of announcing or invasion formally. It is goinf to happen on friday 12th of september around 6pm, we are planning to take charge there until friday 20th. But since we are a little cluesless what to do once we are in power, please write friendly littl signs in English everywhere. Otherwise we'll just settle for a beer and raise taxes. The ambassadors are: Lukas, Sünnje, Kilian, and (probabably) Masayasu.
You know, we come in peace...
Read you soon, write you soon, see you soon
That Lukas
(With kindly regard from Sin-chan)
P.S.: Any idea how long I had to scratch my German beard until I figured out what "ordverifiering" means?!
Skicka en kommentar